Saturday, March 28, 2009

Monsters vs Aliens

Yesterday, I finally told Doni I didn't make it into animation. Probably the last person to find out. This morning, he made a comment, "so, yesterday must have been a really bad day, huh? You finding out you didn't get in!"
I reply, "No, because I found out on Thursday."
He goes, "You didn't know on thursday that you didn't get in!"

That's because of the conversation we had in the cafeteria that afternoon. I explained to him how I didn't make it into Sheridan college animation program twice before. And he was yanking my chain saying, "Dude, you didn't get accepted into Sheridan!" as if it was such a puny thing. Anyways, he was disappointed he won't be able to rent a apartment in Toronto with me for the year if I didn't get in. He'd have to figure out something else to house himself after the residence kicks him out in april.

"Yes, I did, after you were done teasing me about not getting accepted into sheridan, I went to the International center and got my score sheet."
"...now you make me feel bad."

I'm sure you'll get over it; I thought to myself.

I didn't know what Doni had planned to do in Toronto today, I thought he still wanted to go check out apartments. But at Union station, we talked about it and decided, we'd go get lunch, then check out where his job interview is, and then go see 'Monsters vs Aliens'

I had never been to Hooters before. Afternoon wasn't the best time to go there, the place looked quite dead when we were there. Most other people(men) were 40+. I just had a plate of chicken wings and we talked about random things. I didn't want to waste time going to exhibition where Doni's job interview was. So I proposed he go by himself, pick up his friend Dodi, and meet me at Chapters, then we could go to Scotiabank theater.

It had been a long time since I went to a bookstore like Chapters too. I knew I could easily loose myself in books and spend the time it will take Doni to get to Exhibition and come back. Right in the front, they had a display of all the watchmen related books. I have absolutely loved the Watchmen series since I first read it back in pune, this summer. And there are atleast 4 books related to 'Watchmen' Franchise out in the market today. I wanted to browse through them all before deciding which was the one I would want to buy. One was art of the film, one was a 'companion of the film' which explained the backstory of all the characters we see in the film. Anyone who's read the graphic novel would already know all that so I didn't find it very appealing. One was a gorgeous book of just black and white portraits of the characters of the film. Beautiful photography, but not for me. 'Watching the Watchmen' was the book I would go for!

Next, I went to the magazine rack and picked up MacLife and MAD. Finished flipping through those and went upstairs. They have really expanded their ART section. I picked up a book about drawing facial expressions for comic artists to browse through, and went over to the film department. Picked up the only copy of 'Art of Monsters vs Aliens', and sat down next to the large window to read through them. Called up Arpan to ask what he was upto and if he could make it for the movie. Lost in my world of the art of Monsters vs Aliens I didn't even realize how time flew by. Doni called me saying he was on his way back to downtown toronto with Dodi. We decided to meet up at eaton center since he wanted to buy some 'clothes' for his Interview.

He knew exactly where to find me at the huge mall - The Apple store. I was checking out Anti-Glare/matte screen covers/protectors for my ipod touch. I remember Natansh talking about it and I was really tempted, but I decided to 'save some money'. LOL. Also, Bose noise cancelling headphones were awesome! Active noise cancelling works much better than passive noise cancellation. Just that they didn't have a mic and play/pause/next/previous/volume controls like my $89 apple in-ear headphones do.

Fast forwarding through next couple of things, Doni bought himself a Jacket, we walked back to the theater, queued up to get into the IMAX hall, and enjoyed the movie with large coke and Nachos Grande.

Got to say, this was the most amazing movie-going experience I've had in a long time! Full animated feature in Imax 3D! Never seen animated characters in such detail, on such  huge screen! Movie was really fun too. I can't deny that the 3D experience added another layer of fun to it. Your milage may vary! Reese Whitherspoon portrays Susan very well. I really felt connected to the characters. Seth Rogen's B.O.B. was my favourite character! (Didn't you already guess that?) And the action really had me at the edge of my seat. I was sweating by the end. Climax was full of very unexpected moves, twists, etc. I can't wait for an awesome part two of this movie! I can definitely see these characters and their antics over and over again!

No comments:

Post a Comment