Monday, February 26, 2007

My Experiment with food

The first one that got published
Now, I woke up at 10 am after being awake till 3 am working on my portfolio and not getting much done for a reason not concerning this blog. I knew I have to make the most of the time I have in these 3 days so I went down to get a fix of caffeine. I finished my coffee slowly, looking out he glass door, it was snowing outside. Been snowing a lot since yesterday. And everything was starting to look so much more beautiful again. After the coffee was over, I decided heck, lets have something for breakfast too. Then came my most dreaded moment, picking what to eat. I am so frustrated of having the same things to eat always. "No matter how much things change, they always remain the same," was what came to mind.

I finally decided to have a tortilla. They are also called wraps but basically, they are just rotis. This one was made of 100 % whole wheat it said on the package. I never did like its smell. Eating it was not out of liking or I missed indian food and it tasted like Indian food. In reality, it didn't taste anything like indian food when I had it so many times before. I had microwaved it, I had roasted it on gas in a pan(and even managed to burn the underside and make it into a crispy papad) Now don't tell that part to my mom. She's just not supposed to know it ok? That day was when I was gonna post my first "experiments with food" post. So today too, it was gonna be a horrible breakfast, that I was certain of.

So to not make a fuss about it and get it over with, I put it in the microwave on a plate and watched it inflate as it cooked for about a minute. I took it out and first thing I did was to pick it up off the plate because it was all soggy from below. That's how the pizzas get too. And that's probably the only thing I hate about microwaves. Then I decided to butter it up while it was still warm. And just when I ran my spoon of butter over it, I realized what had happened. I picked it up and bent it and it broke in two halves with a click. or crack or whatever sound u wanna hear. It had become dry and crispy like a papad. But it wasn't meant to be a papad. And it certainly didn't taste like a papad. I took one bite and decided enough is enough! Threw it in the dust bin and geared up to cook something really appetizing and satisfying.

I put my brain to it and figured, last time I cooked it, I didn't have any ghee or butter but this time I do. I could use the butter to cook it like a paratha. And I put all The butter I had scooped out into the pan and let it warm up. I then put the tortilla on it and waited for it to get a little more warmed up. I didn't want to take chance of letting it get charcoaled like last time, so I was flipping it over at constant intervals, pressing down on it at certain places if I thought it wasn't buttered up properly. In a little while, I started seeing it getting brown. I was so happy! The familiar colour that I had long missed. It was even soft and oily. Not crisp and dry like before. Now I knew this was a kinda pre-cooked bread, so didn't want to overcook it and took it off before long. I didn't cook a second one as I wanted to "verify" that my experiment had succeeded.

And it did. I really enjoyed my breakfast and was very happy about it too. Then I thought I'd do it tonight too so I didn't put the pan in the sink and ran upstairs to write about the success of my procedure. But don't tell this to my mom, it'll be embarassing. Parathas anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment